may 2020 wrap up/june 2020 tbr

So, another month has finished (and we're all still in quarantine) and I thought it'd be nice to write my first monthly wrap up/tbr in this blog! Please, bear with me while I figure this out. 



books I read for the #asianreadathon


In May I participated for the first time in the #asianreadthon and for that, I read two books, Of Curses and Kisses (by Sandhya Menon) and Wicked As You Wish (by Rin Chupeco) and therefore completing the four prompts,
    • Read any book by an Asian author.
    • Read a book featuring an Asian character or written by an Asian author who you can relate to.
    • Read a book featuring an Asian character or written by an Asian author who is different from you.
    • Read a book recommended by an Asian.


other books I read in May
Last month I also read three other books, The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune (you can read the review here) and two other books by Helen Hoang, The Kiss Quotient and The Bride Test (I guess I can consider them for the #asianreadathon as well? I don't know, both readings weren't exactly planned). 

I don't plan on reviewing properly any of those books, but I'll give you this: normally I think New Adult is fun but I don't usually like the genre all that much. That being said, I enjoyed Helen Hoang's books more than most (a solid 3-star rating). 


milestones
      • Well, I officially started a MailChimp newsletter! So, now, if you like what I write and don't wish to miss any posts, feel free to follow me and get updates by email!
      • I added a new section on the blog called "free printables" in which you can find some I designed myself!
      • On Pinterest, I went from 50k impressions monthly to over 200k!


posts

For June, I intend on participating in The Olympic Games Readathon! It's hosted by IshiAlly, Nicole and Sasha and it's based on the Riordanvese, more specifically the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, which means that you can declare your team (godly parent/cabin) and complete the challenges accordingly. 

I answered the "official" quiz and, apparently, my godly parent is indeed Hades (my emo phase really paid off in the end). However, I liked Apollo's challenges more, so I decided to go with that (after all, I am also a music nerd). 

my June TBR

⚡ Music to my ears: Listen to an audiobook.

I don't like audiobooks! They're too expansive for my broke ass and the few times I've tried reading this way, I didn't quite like it, so I'll be skipping this challenge for now. If that changes, good. But I won't sweat about it. 


⚡ Healing: Read a book you know will make you happy.

Felix Ever After by Kacen Callender
Tavia is already at odds with the world, forced to keep her siren identity under wraps in a society that wants to keep her kind under lock and key. Never mind she's also stuck in Portland, Oregon, a city with only a handful of black folk and even fewer of those with magical powers. At least she has her bestie Effie by her side as they tackle high school drama, family secrets, and unrequited crushes.
But everything changes in the aftermath of a siren murder trial that rocks the nation; the girls’ favorite Internet fashion icon reveals she's also a siren, and the news rips through their community. Tensions escalate when Effie starts being haunted by demons from her past, and Tavia accidentally lets out her magical voice during a police stop. No secret seems safe anymore—soon Portland won’t be either. 
Look at this title. Of course, I know Felix Ever After by Kacen Callender will make me happy (and possibly cry my eyes out too). 


⚡ As the god of prophecy, Apollo can often predict the future. Read a book you predict will be a 5-star read.

How to Be Remy Cameron by Julian Winters 
Everyone on campus knows Remy Cameron. He's the out-and-gay, super-likable guy that people admire for his confidence. The only person who may not know Remy that well is Remy himself. So when he is assigned to write an essay describing himself, he goes on a journey to reconcile the labels that people have attached to him, and get to know the real Remy Cameron.

I have read another book by Julian Winters (Running with Lions, read the review here) and I really enjoyed it, so I have quite high expectations for How to Be Remy Cameron! (plus, it has been on my TBR since its release last year)


⚡ Read a book that starts with the letter A.

A Song Below Water by Bethany C. Morrow 
Tavia is already at odds with the world, forced to keep her siren identity under wraps in a society that wants to keep her kind under lock and key. Never mind she's also stuck in Portland, Oregon, a city with only a handful of black folk and even fewer of those with magical powers. At least she has her bestie Effie by her side as they tackle high school drama, family secrets, and unrequited crushes.
But everything changes in the aftermath of a siren murder trial that rocks the nation; the girls’ favorite Internet fashion icon reveals she's also a siren, and the news rips through their community. Tensions escalate when Effie starts being haunted by demons from her past, and Tavia accidentally lets out her magical voice during a police stop. No secret seems safe anymore—soon Portland won’t be either.
A Song Below Water by Bethany C. Morrow has a gorgeous cover and it'll be the first book I read by the author. I'm super excited!


⚡ The Twin Archers: Apollo and Artemis look out for each other. Complete a prompt that honors Artemis.  Read a book while the moon is up.

I'll leave this challenge on open because I have this very unhealthy habit of reading mostly at night (and consequently pulling all-nighters) anyway, so I'm guessing around 80% of the books I read in June I will be while the moon is up.


other books I may read and why 

  • Crier's War by Nina Varela
  • Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir 
  • The Belles by Dhonielle Clayton
Since writing the post books I want to read because of a fanart, I've been meaning to start these three books so if I have the time (and stop procrastinating), I might give them a shot. 



To sum things up: In may I read five books (not a really impressive number, but still), two of them for the #asianreadathon. There were also some blog posts, free printables, and now too much miya has a newsletter! In June, I'll be joining the #ogreadathon and plan to read three books for it. Concerning the Pride Month, there are also three other books I'd like to read (but no pressure, guys).

till next time!


0 comentários