running with lions by julian winters (review)

So, another day, another book read while in self-isolation. I read Running with Lions by Julian Winters after I saw Anna recommending it on her Twitter and I was not let down. 

Running with Lions
by Julian Winters
Genre: Young Adult, LGBTQ
Pages: 299
Rating: ★★★★
Synopsis: Bloomington High School Lions' star goalie, Sebastian Hughes, should be excited about his senior year: His teammates are amazing and he's got a coach who doesn't ask anyone to hide their sexuality. But when his estranged childhood best friend Emir Shah shows up to summer training camp, Sebastian realizes the team's success may end up in the hands of the one guy who hates him. Determined to reconnect with Emir for the sake of the Lions, he sets out to regain Emir's trust. But to Sebastian's surprise, sweaty days on the pitch, wandering the town's streets, and bonding on the weekends sparks more than just friendship between them.
“To every LGBTQIA+ person who has questioned their place in life: You're strong. You're important. You're a lion. Let the world hear you roar.”
― Julian Winters, Running With Lions
“Let life happen. All the plans we make are not guaranteed.”― Julian Winters, Running With Lions 
“The future is only grim because people see it that way. It's unpredictable. Life is a summer storm of insecure thoughts. There's an umbrella of precautions to prevent insecurity, but it doesn't always keep the rain out of your face.”― Julian Winters, Running With Lions

In Running with Lions, we follow Sebastian Hughes (seventeen, bisexual, on track to become the Lion's captain) throughout his last summer as a high schooler. As a part of the school's soccer team, Sebastian and his best friends (and teammates) attend their beloved training camp and it's there where he reencounters Emir Shah, his ex-best friend from a long time ago, who can barely acknowledge his presence anymore. 

I honestly had no expectations for this book. Not because I thought it'd be bad, but because, I did not know a thing about the plot/author before picking the book up. In reality, I saw the beautiful cover art (by the amazing CB Messer), found out it was a summer camp/sports romance and thought 'ok, let's do it'. And I truly don't regret doing that. Running with Lions was a great read for me (one sitting, fun, totally right for the moment).

Concerning the characters, I don't think I have a favorite one (properly), but I have to say I definitely liked (or at least understood) the majority of them and their actions. However, I'd also like to point out that Mason Riley is an asshole and this blog does not support his actions. I actually felt like he was supposed to be like the typical male love interest from some straight romances? The super hot and arrogant dude with a tragic backstory and horrible behavior towards women? Ugh.

“Guys are beautiful. And girls are handsome. Words aren’t gender-specific.”― Julian Winters, Running With Lions

Anyway, the book is an LGBTQIA childhood friend to enemies (kinda) to lovers and lemme tell ya: I was here for it. I don't think I've ever read a book with this trope of t and I was excited about it.  Emir and Sebastian didn't disappoint, there were were cute. Don't get me wrong, the whole book felt a bit green, as debuts normally do, but their relationship was well written enough to secure a story with that much romance in it. Some parts weren't exactly clear (at least to me), but I can excuse them in the name of the first-person narrative.

Speaking of that, this type of narrative can be a little dangerous because for me is a hit or miss situation. Basically, if I don't like the main character, and they're the narrator, the probability of me liking the book is small. In Running with Lions, I was surprised to find that Sebastian has a relatable personality. He's the mom friend, the peacemaker, the captain. But, also, he's a student who has no idea what the future holds (I guess we've all been there), a teenager stressing out about his sexuality and a friend struggling with his roll in the group.  

“But being a teenager is one good day of being a superhero, followed by a hundred days of being self-conscious about every little damn thing. It's one big, selfish moment when you don't give a shit about other people's opinions, but you still want your friends to love who you are and what you do.”― Julian Winters, Running With Lions

The plot was what I had problems with. As mentioned before, the story felt green, which is understandable as it is Julian Winters' debut and has almost a fanfiction-like pace (the latter I did not mind, actually). A couple of details were never properly addressed (such as Sebastians's body dysmorphia) and the ending was a bit disappointing as well. To be honest, I kind of hate when the main couple finally gets together for real and then the rest of the issues just magically solve themselves? For me, it's just rushed and lazy.

As for Julian Winters, How to Be Remy Cameron has been on my TBR since before it was released but I kind of forgot about it and picked up Running with Lions on a whim (I did not even know it was the same author, actually). I think he did pretty well as a start and can barely wait to read his other works! Also, it was so great to find a #OwnVoices author accidentally! 

“Let life happen. All the plans we make are not guaranteed.”― Julian Winters, Running With Lions

In short, the book is a fun one, with a cute love story and a fanfiction feel to it. Perfect if you're looking for a light read with some representation and the following tropes: summer camp, sports romance, childhood friends to enemies to lovers. 

till next time!

2 comentários

  1. Oooh this sounds like such a cute wee read! I feel like I've read some super heavy books lately and need something a little lighter so I may have to check this out!! Awesome review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running with Lions is super fun and summery (with just a dash os teenage angst). Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete