Crier's War by Nina Varela (book review)

I've read Crier's War by Nina Varela. Finally.

I have been salivating over Crier's War since before its release last year, but it was only in 2020 that I could get my hands on it (it was a combination of the price of the ebook dropping and sheer luck, really). Nevertheless, since the quarantine has wrecked my mental health in unimaginable ways, it was only recently that I finally got around to reading it.

And, oh boy it was good.

Initially, I was a bit nervous because, well, my expectations were pretty high, but I loved it. Which isn't to say the book is perfect in every way, I ended up giving a 4-star review because of a major issue, but whatever.

So, let's start the review,

Crier's War (Crier's War #1)
by Nina Varela
Genre: YA, Fantasy, LGBTQIA+
Pages: 464
★★★★
Synopsis: Impossible love between two girls —one human, one Made. A love that could birth a revolution.
After the War of Kinds ravaged the kingdom of Rabu, the Automae, Designed to be the playthings of royals, took over the estates of their owners and bent the human race to their will.
Now, Ayla, a human servant rising the ranks at the House of the Sovereign, dreams of avenging the death of her family… by killing the Sovereign’s daughter, Lady Crier. Crier, who was Made to be beautiful, to be flawless. And to take over the work of her father.
Crier had been preparing to do just that—to inherit her father’s rule over the land. But that was before she was betrothed to Scyre Kinok, who seems to have a thousand secrets. That was before she discovered her father isn’t as benevolent as she thought. That was before she met Ayla.
Set in a richly-imagined fantasy world, Nina Varela’s debut novel is a sweepingly romantic tale of love, loss and revenge, that challenges what it really means to be human.
"She’d always thought that the most she would be able to do was kill Hesod’s daughter. But what if she could destroy him even more completely? Kill his daughter and burn his kingdom to the ground?" ― Nina Varela, Crier's War
Crier's War by Nina Varela is set in a world of ruled by Automae, creations made previously to be servants and playthings to the royals. After the War of Kinds, however, the bloodshed resulted in a cruel ruling of Automae, one in which humans live in fear and poverty while the Made enjoy luxury in their fancy castles. 

Or protagonists are Ayla, a servant determined to get revenge for her assassinated family and Crier, the heir to a powerful land. And, after Ayla comes up with the perfect plan: kill the Sovereign Hesod's daughter, they have the perfect meet-cute (life-saving from falling from a cliff) and start to spend more time together, as Ayla is promoted to Lady Crier's maiden. 

From that, Crier starts to question her kind's actions and beliefs. Even her father, who she thought was generous and benevolent, might be part of the oppression of humans. And as for Ayla, well, she finds it harder and harder to follow through with her revenge plan.



“Her family's death had left her not a person but a ghost, a ruined shell, a carcass. The parts that had survived would be tainted forever.”― Nina Varela, Crier's War

My major problem with the book is that I couldn't connect with one of the main characters, Crier herself. In my opinion, Nina Varela was a bit too successful in creating a machine for a protagonist and, as a consequence, I couldn't relate to her at all. Throughout the book, Crier learns and starts to care about humans, one in specific (if you catch what I'm saying), she starts to develop some likable qualities but it still wasn't enough for me, I guess.

On the other hand, maybe to make up for that, my absolute favorite character is the other protagonist, Ayla. I don't know why, but revenge-seeking/combat-trained girls really do it for me. Her character was complex and well developed and I totally get Crier's obsession with her (who wouldn't fall in love, am I right?). Plus, the tragic backstory, the drama, and the plot twists were just *chef`s kiss*. Honestly? The book might have been a 5-star read for me if it was all about (and solely narrated by) Ayla.

“There was something terrible in her, something clawed and angry and afraid and sad… The truth of Ayla, the pain of her, was like a song you could feel vibrating on the air, even if you didn’t know the words. It was a hum, low and throaty and full of sorrow.”― Nina Varela, Crier's War

Crier's War has one of my favorite tropes (which is rightfully also one of the most popular in the book community): enemies-to-lovers. And what better enemies than two different species who are currently trying to murder each other at all times? Well, it was great but then again, it could have been better if not for a certain character. Sadly, Crier is a bit (a lot) naive and, while Ayla is certainly aware that Crier is the enemy, Crier is completely oblivious. This was a bit of an issue for me (how come a character can be so smart and obtuse at the same time?), but Ayla made up for it in an incredible scene, which was expertly portrayed by @citruslucy


The world-building was very well written (and it is Nina's debut!) and it creates a nice set up for the romance, as well as for the plot. Of course, since it's the first book only, I have so many questions! But I guess I'll have to wait until next month for the release of the sequel, Iron Hart. Also, I was not expecting to care so much for the ethics and dynamics of this fictional society! Well done, Nina!

Concerning the plot, I'm very curious as to what will happen in the following books. As it is, Crier's War is more of setting up for the story, it gives you some background, some political conflict, some romance, and intrigues, but, like any good first book, it ends just as things are getting really heated. Nevertheless, I loved the schemes, all the plotting, and generally how smart the story is.

“She carried the same intensity about her, like heat waves rising from her skin, even though she was just standing in the doorway and not currently in the middle of saving Crier's life. Like she was more than a human girl. Like she was a summer storm made flesh.”― Nina Varela, Crier's War

As a fantasy novel, it's not that heavy or difficult to follow (which I and my mental health appreciate very much). The writing is clear and the story is gripping. Nina Varela, in her debut, did an amazing job. This book has POC main characters (although not specified) and sapphic romance. To my knowledge, it is #OwnVoices. 

Crier's War by Nina Varela is the perfect book for fantasy and romance readers. I recommend it to anyone looking for girls who fight with knives, who kiss other girls and who plot for revenge.

Thank you so much for reading my review, get your copy and keep an eye out for Iron Heart!

nina varelaIron Heart (Crier's War, #2) by Nina Varela

1 comentários

  1. I'm so glad you loved this book! I also gave it 4 stars - but for the opposite reason as you. I actually really liked Crier because I found her innocence about humans and her robotic nature very interesting and convincing. However, I was not a fan of Ayla because I wanted her to be more cunning and less driven solely by her emotions (even if it was the author's choice to show the contrast between the two characters in how they handled emotions). I also felt like the romance was one-sided at times ... but I'm very eager for Iron Heart and can't wait to see where the story will proceed!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete