a song below water by bethany c. morrow (book review)

In this post, I'll be reviewing A Song Below Water by Bethany C. Morrow, a book part of my June TBR.

This was the last book I read in June and it took me a while to write this review because I wanted to do it justice (I still don't think it's good enough, but I ran out of time I guess). 

A Song Below Water
by 

Genre: YA, Fantasy
Pages: 288
★★★★

Synopsis: Tavia is already at odds with the world, forced to keep her siren identity under 

But everything changes in the aftermath of a siren murder trial that rocks the nation; the girls’ favorite Internet fashion icon reveals she's also a siren, and the news rips through their community. Tensions escalate when Effie starts being haunted by demons from her past, and Tavia accidentally lets out her magical voice during a police stop. No secret seems safe anymore—soon Portland won’t be either.wraps in a society that wants to keep her kind under lock and key. Never mind she's also stuck in Portland, Oregon, a city with only a handful of black folk and even fewer of those with magical powers. At least she has her bestie Effie by her side as they tackle high school drama, family secrets, and unrequited crushes.
“The danger is as much a part of home as community is. The fear gets quiet, but it doesn't disappear, and that might be what sets us apart. When we smile, or we dance, or we march, or we win, it isn't because we didn't have a reason we didn't have a reason to be afraid. It isn't because the uncertainty is gone. It's because we did it anyway. Because we cannot be exterminated.”― Bethany C. Morrow, A Song Below Water

A Song Below Water by Bethany C. Morrow is a book that tells the story of Tavia and Effie, two best friends (sisters, really) who struggle with their identity (keeping it a secret and discovering it, respectively) In a contemporary setting full of mystical creatures, being a siren is dangerous, Tavia knows that. For a long time, sirens have been exclusively Black Women and all the oppression and prejudice led to them silencing their voices and living in hiding. However, in the face of nationwide protests regarding siren's rights, Tavia needs to find who she wants to be and the changes she wants to make in the world.

Effie, on the other hand, has some physical features which may or may not have something to do with the dad she's never met. Her best friend has to deal with the constant fear of someone discovering she's a siren, but Effie is afraid she'll never find out who she really is. On top of that, both of them are expected to not only navigate those things but also high school drama, family secrets, and ghosts from the past (and the present). 

"Sometimes I honestly think she can read my mind and I don’t know if that’s a siren feature or just a Tavia feature." ― Bethany C. Morrow, A Song Below Water

At first, to be honest, I thought this was a sapphic book (I mean, look at the cover!) but finding out the book centers in Tavia and Effie's friendship instead was refreshing. There aren't many books in which the two best friends are both the main characters with their own separate journey and I liked how the author handled that. 

Also, I have to say their friendship is one of the best parts of the book. It had the perfect amount of cute backstory, bantering, and mutual support I like. It was also one of the most relatable things for me (I have a really close twin sister and that's why they gave me a sisterly vibe, which I loved). 

I don't think I could pick a favorite character as well, I found both of them to be great and I couldn't possibly choose one. Tavia and Effie felt real and therefore it wasn't difficult at all to care for them. As mentioned before, they each have a journey throughout the book I loved how the characters evolved.  


“I'm not a monster because I live in a world that gives me impossible choices.”― Bethany C. Morrow, A Song Below Water


The plot was also well developed. I loved how the world Bethany C. Morrow is fantastic while also being close enough to our reality to feel authentic, like everything that happened in the book could also happen in real life (if a bit differently). I was also surprised by the ending, which is something I always appreciate. All the secrets and mysteries kept me guessing all the time. I read everything in one sitting! That's how good the plot is!

I had a bit of a problem with the ending (which, sadly, I can't disclosure without giving major spoilers) but we can blame it all on my general foolishness and say I was a little bit too surprised with a big revelation towards the end. Overall, I thought it was coherent and satisfactory. 

As for the author, I don't think I've ever read anything by Bethany C. Morrow before, but now I certainly will. Mem, her debut novel, and Little Women (Reclaiming the Classics #2) seem to be awesome stories as well (I already added them to my ever-growing TBR!). I was impressed by her writing and her pace. Even in the parts that had low action, I couldn't stop reading! I was fascinated as well with how much the author covered with this book. From racism and police brutality to activism and identity. 


A Song Below Water by Bethany C. Morrow is a touching story about finding your place in the world and coming to terms with your who you are. It's an absolute must-read to fans of fantasy and coming of age! I recommended to anyone looking to read more from Black Authors as well. 

Thanks for reading, 
till next time!

4 comentários

  1. i love this detailed review so much! i also thought that this was a sapphic book but even if it isn't one, im glad to know that it focuses on friendship. im hoping to read this book soon as it's on my tbr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! It's one of the best reads of the first semester <3

      Delete
  2. I have this on my wishlist and I think it's about time that I got it! You're review was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much <3 I hopw you like it!

      Delete