don't date rosa santos by nina moreno (review)

This book has been on my tbr for ages now due to all the buzz surrounding it. On top of that, I saw that a lot of Latinx readers had really enjoyed this #ownvoices story, so, even though I knew close to nothing about the plot (just the way I like it), I had some expectations. And stuck in self-isolation, I thought: what's better than a fun, summery read?

Anyway, let's review.

Don't Date Rosa Santos
by Nina Moreno
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Pages: 336
Rating: ★★★★
Synopsis: Rosa Santos is cursed by the sea-at least, that's what they say. Dating her is bad news, especially if you're a boy with a boat.
But Rosa feels more caught than cursed. Caught between cultures and choices. Between her abuela, a beloved healer and pillar of their community, and her mother, an artist who crashes in and out of her life like a hurricane. Between Port Coral, the quirky South Florida town they call home, and Cuba, the island her abuela refuses to talk about.
As her college decision looms, Rosa collides - literally - with Alex Aquino, the mysterious boy with tattoos of the ocean whose family owns the marina. With her heart, her family, and her future on the line, can Rosa break a curse and find her place beyond the horizon?
“I was a collection of hyphens and bilingual words. Always caught in between. Two schools, two languages, two countries. Never quite right or enough for either. My dreams were funded by a loan made long before me, and I paid it back with in guilt and success. I paid it back by tending a garden whose roots I could not reach”― Nina Moreno, Don't Date Rosa Santos

The reading was nowhere near boring. I was looking for a book to get me out of boredom and the daily tragedies on the news and Don't Date Rosa Santos definitely worked for me in that sense. I read it in one sitting, in my room, full of excitement (as teenage girls usually do).

I also was able to relate to the characters in multiple ways (which is always a bonus for me). The main character is a hardworking student who has big plans for the future and has a hard time feeling 'Latina enough'. I could see myself in Rosa wanting to study abroad, in her working so hard during high school, and, most of all, I could relate to the generational conflicts surrounding the Santos Family. 

Speaking of those, the whole relationship between Mimi, Rosa and her Mom was one of my favorite parts of the story. Reading all the bickering, the hurtful backstories and the passive-aggressive commentaries brought layers to these three characters. I loved how real it got, how messy and complicated and ultimately, how meaningful everything was. Definitely what stood out the most to me. 

“I should have used my pain better. You and your mother deserved that.”― Nina Moreno, Don't Date Rosa Santos

The plot itself was secondary, I believe. Most of its elements were predictable, but it's a coming of age story so who cares, really? At some point, I thought it was a 'saving our town' trope, but it was a bit overshadowed by other components (again, the Santos family, love them). Anyway, before reading the book, I was expecting cute boys (Alex is adorable, you guys) and existential crises (love these), and that's what I got. 

The ending for me was a bit bittersweet, though. I believe that's one of the reasons I didn't rate Don't Date Rosa Santos five stars. The three pages or so of the book didn't exactly work for me and I was a bit disappointed, but overall I think it fulfilled my expectations. 

'till next time!

0 comentários