book tour: lupe wong won't dance by donna barba higuera (#booktour)

[tour schedule]

To finish off my series of Book Tours (all thanks to Colored Pages Book Tours) here's another amazing (and diverse!) book I got to read and review: Lupe Wong Won't Dance by Donna Barba Higuera.

Lupe Wong Won’t Dance 
by Donna Barba Higuera 
Publisher: Levine Querido 
Publication Date: September 8th, 2020 
Genres: Middle Grade, Contemporary 
Synopsis: Levine Querido has bought debut author Donna Barba Higuera's middle grade novel Lupe Wong Won't Dance. Publication is slated for 2020.

Lupe Wong is going to be the first female pitcher in the Major Leagues. She's also championed causes her whole young life. Some worthy…like expanding the options for race on school tests beyond just a few bubbles. And some not so much…like complaining to the BBC about the length between Doctor Who seasons.

Lupe needs an A in all her classes in order to meet her favorite pitcher, Fu Li Hernandez, who's Chinacan/Mexinese just like her. So when the horror that is square dancing rears its head in gym? Obviously she's not gonna let that slide.

Not since Millicent Min, Girl Genius has a debut novel introduced a character so memorably, with such humor and emotional insight. Even square dancing fans will agree…

Book links: Goodreads // Amazon // Book Depository // Barnes & Noble // IndieBound //Indigo // BAM!


“Would you rather hang from a burning rope over the Grand Canyon filled with rattlesnakes or dance on stage in five minutes?” — Donna Barba Higuera, Lupe Wong Won't Dance

Lupe Wong Won't Dance by Donna Barba Higuera tells the story of Guadalupe Wong, a twelve-year-old girl who dreams of becoming the first female pitcher in the Major Leagues. And the first Mexinese girl to throw a no-hitter. After her uncle promises her an encounter with Fu Li Hernandez, a Chinacan/Mexinese professional pitcher (and her idol) under the condition that she must get straight A's all across the board, she studies hard but there's just one problem. 


This quarter's PE curriculum is... Square dancing. And Lupe Wong rather "eat raw maggot puke" than do that.


Well, much like Lupe Wong, square dancing was also a part of my school's curriculum (I hated it too). However, opposite to her, I just... played hooky. Yes, not my proudest moment, but not all of us can be persistent badasses like Lupe, ok?


Speaking of her, Lupe Wong is such a great character! She's so driven by her goals and determined to do right by her causes. She exhales the type of confidence and purpose kids have, while also being vulnerable and funny. I loved her character the most, although her friends were also great. 


“Remember when I peed my pants in the fourth grade?”

“Yeah.” I shrug like it was no big deal, but it was one epic

accident. “My mom isn’t the one who got Ms. Cox in trouble for not letting me go to the bathroom after I’d already asked four times.” Her jaw is tight. “You did. You’re the one who got equal potty rights for everyone even if we’d just been at recess. You’re the one who made sure no one teased me.” Andy’s eyes are welling up a little." — Donna Barba Higuera, Lupe Wong Won't Dance


I wanted to read Lupe Wong Won't Dance by Donna Barba Higuera so badly because I don't see a lot of Asian-Latinx representation out there. I am not Mexinese (I'm Japanese-Brazilian), but I could relate so much with her struggles to conciliate both of her cultures. There was one scene, in particular, a family dinner, that felt so familiar to me. 


I haven't read many Middle-Grade books and Lupe Wong Won't Dance is just the book I needed. It's funny and charming while also being relevant and thoughtful. It tackled issues like racism, gender norms, and historical oppression, but it's also a light book about a funny preteen who doesn't want to dance in school. I loved how fresh it felt.


The plot is interesting and gripping and I read the book in like... two hours? And it brightened my Sunday. The ending was very cute, all characters had their well-deserved growth. However, I had one little problem: a lot of very relevant issues with square dancing are brought up and they are dealt with some way or another, but I didn't feel like it was enough, you know? To quote Lupe herself, "If a system is flawed, they should scrap it". But that's just my personal opinion based on some very messed up childhood experiences with square dancing. 


“I mean, what if I’m gay?” I ask. “Shouldn’t I be able to dance

with a girl?”

“Are you gay?”

“I don’t know. I’m only twelve. I thought I’d figure it out in a few years.” — Donna Barba Higuera, Lupe Wong Won't Dance


Lupe Wong Won't Dance by Donna Barba Higuera is a great Middle-Grade book. I recommend it to anyone looking for the perfect easy and fun reading that will make you cry-laugh and cry-cry and feel happy at the end. 


Thank you for reading, and thanks to Colored Pages Book Tour and Publisher Levine Querido for this amazing opportunity!




Author Information
Donna grew up in central California surrounded by agricultural and oil fields. As a child, rather than dealing with the regular dust devils, she preferred spending recess squirreled away in the janitor’s closet with a good book. Her favorite hobbies were calling dial-a-story over and over again, and sneaking into a restricted cemetery to weave her own spooky tales using the crumbling headstones as inspiration. ​

Donna's Middle Grade and Picture Books are about kids who find themselves in odd or scary situations.​ From language to cultural differences in being biracial life can become…complicated. So like Donna, characters tackle more than just the bizarre things that happen to them in their lives. 

Donna likes to write about all things funny, but also sad, and creepy, and magical. If you like those things, she hopes you will read her books! 

​Donna lives in Washington State with her family, three dogs and two frogs. 

Author Links: 

0 comentários